I’m not going to lie to you. This recipe is in no way healthy. I can’t even think of ways to make it healthy. If you’re looking for healthy turn back now… still with me? Alright, so let me tell you about these ooey, gooey carmelita bars. Imagine a soft cookie crust, semi-sweet chocolate, a layer of caramel and a streusel topping. Sounds good, right? Well, I won’t keep you and your new love apart for much longer. Here’s your new favorite dessert!
Yields: one 9-by- 9 inch pan
¾ cup butter, melted
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-rolled old fashioned oats (not instant or quick cook)
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional
35 Werther’s Originals Chewy Caramels, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (if you want a salted caramel)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking oil. (For easier clean up, do not skip lining the pan)
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, about 90 seconds.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and mix with a rubber spatula. Mixture will be quite thick.
- Press about half the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to create a smooth, flat layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Combine the caramels and cream in a large microwave safe bowl, and heat in 60-second rounds to melt caramels, stirring after each round. You want a smooth consistency. It usually takes about 4 to 5 minutes. If you want a salted caramel, stir in the salt and set mixture aside.
- After 10 minutes, remove crust from the oven and evenly sprinkle with the chocolate.
- Evenly pour caramel sauce over the chocolate.
- Crumble remaining crust mixture evenly on top of caramel.
- Return pan to oven and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and center is bubbling slightly.
- Allow bars to cool completely. This can take up to 4 hours or overnight at room temperature. If you don’t allow them to cool completely, the caramel won’t set and you’ll have a gooey mess on your hands.
Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Wanna share a picture of your carmelitas? Be sure to tag us!